EU R&D SURVEY, Commissione Europea
Il sito della Unione europea https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/research-topic/industrial-research-and-innovation fornisce una ricca documentazione sulle iniziative di Ricerca industriale della UE.
Il report della UE allegato fornisce un quadro completo delle policy e delle iniziative UE aggiornato al 2019.
Industrial research means planned research or critical investigation aimed at the acquisition of new knowledge and skills for developing new products, processes or services or for bringing about significant improvement in existing products, processes or services. Compared to main competitors, Europe underinvests in its knowledge foundations, with a major gap in business Research and Development (R&D), and a progressive decline of the manufacturing sector’s share of value added and employment, which accounts for most private R&D expenditure, stimulates local innovation systems and enables participation in Global Innovation Networks.
The landscape for policies has become more complex in the past two decades having to address:
– investment and productivity gaps,
– the productivity puzzle of advanced economies,
– innovation diffusion issues,
– the impact of General Purpose Technologies (e.g. ICT and AI) and Emerging Technologies (e.g. KETs),
– the increased speed of technological and organisational change,
– challenges linked to the increasing economic globalisation and
– the need to contribute to the management of profound socio-economic transitions (e.g. digitalisation, neutral carbon economy and circular economy), coupled with Europe’s key challenge to deliver the next great transition of our economy, society, and planet.